History and Archeology Museum of Constanta
The Museum of National History and Archeology Constanța has a history of over 100 years.
The building that dominates Ovidiu Square was the headquarters of the City Hall, called at that time the Communal Palace. Its construction started in 1911 according to the plans of the architect Victor Ştephănescu and finished, late, due to the war, in 1921. The building, built in neo-Romanian style, has a monumental appearance. Today it is part of the national heritage, being noted in the list of historical monuments. It extends vertically on 5 levels: basement, ground floor, two floors and attic.
On December 25, 1977, the Museum of National History and Archeology of Constanța was inaugurated. The attribute of national granted to a provincial institution is the expression fully justified by the scientific and propaganda position of the institution. The exhibition space occupies three levels: ground floor, first floor and second floor. On the ground floor there are two Treasury rooms; the first floor includes, chronologically, the old and medieval history of Dobrogea; on the second floor, modern history and several thematic exhibitions are also displayed